Detox is a popular word these days. Our lives are polluted by toxins as we go about our normal activity. The processed foods we eat, the cleaning chemicals we use, makeup and lotions, the air we breath, etc. It can be really overwhelming if you do a deep-dive into all the ways we can come across toxins.
The good news is that our bodies are remarkably resilient. There are many things you can to do reduce the amount of toxins your body has to process. A detox also helps boost your immune system.
There is also a lot of contradicting information about whether or not massage therapy helps to detox the body.
Adding Massage to Your Detox Program Will Help
As a massage therapist my belief is that, no, the massage itself does not remove toxins from the body. However, it can assist the body in eliminating them and alleviate some symptoms. Here’s how:
- Massage increases blood flow to all parts of a body, which can promote healing to injured areas
- Lymphatic massage helps reduce the build up of fluids in the lymphatic system which helps the body eliminate toxins
- Temporary muscle aches can accompany a detox protocol and massage can help alleviate some of the discomfort
- Massage also promotes sleep which is great for your immune system and an important part of any detox program
- Infrared mats and saunas. One of the most powerful benefits of infrared spa treatments is detoxification of the body. It is a way to comfortably sweat, relax, and purify skin.
For a full list of all the benefits of therapeutic massage, please read What is Therapeutic Massage?
Recovering from Addictions and Drug Use Disorders
If you or a loved one is in recovery and healing from a drug use disorder, massage therapy can be a big help in this area for all the same reasons as listed above. Drugs and medications (prescription based or recreational) also introduce chemicals and toxins into our body. As the physical and mental symptoms of withdrawal set in, massage therapy can help reduce them to a more manageable level. Massage is a great alternative to pain management when painkillers are not an option.
The Detox Wrap Up
Regardless of the reason for your detox program, massage therapy can help with some of the symptoms that come with your body eliminating toxins. Despite the contradiction in the medical information available, I believe that the incorporating massage therapy into your detox protocol will help you manage the process. I’d love to talk to you about your health journey and all the steps you are taking to improve your healthy. Give us a call at 517-898-2899